Background: Read about our inaugural Kick the STAAR charity drive here.
One of the pains of doing something for the first time is you usually don’t know what you don’t know. So just about any action leads you into uncharted territory where you are not only unsure of what the outcome will be, but you have no way of knowing whether or not you are moving in the right direction. With so much uncertainty and confusion, its easy to get frustrated when things go awry or progress is slow. Admittedly, such was the case with clearing some hurdles required to publish the Kick The STAAR photos.
But for our Independent Supporters Association, there is always a compass that will guide us in the right direction… Its the Walker End Houston vision statement.
The vision of Walker End is tifo in every section and 22,000 supporters singing for the Dynamo, a stadium-wide Dynamo supporter community.
And if we believe in this vision and stay committed to our Statement of Purpose, everything will eventually fall into place — as it did with the photos.
Over the past couple weeks, we’ve seen some incredibly exciting things happen since we launched. When we pitched the idea of a community for all Dynamo fans, independent and group-affiliated, you responded. In less than three weeks we’ve seen:
- 153 Facebook page Likes
- 181 Twitter followers
- 224 Mailing list opt-ins
- 116 Registered forum users
- 259 Posts on the forum
- $1,731.74 raised to outfit two soccer teams of 59 economically disadvantaged youths
All of that without a single flyer handed out at games. Not a single piece of Walker End merchandise sold. Not a single advertisement in a game program. Not a single penny on facebook advertising. Its a testament to the fact that the time is now for this idea.
But where’s the massive tifo?
Why is the supporters section a mess?
Why doesn’t BBVA Compass Stadium sound like Portland/Seattle/Chicago yet?!?
We told you when we began this journey that it would be messy. And so far, it has been. But while progress may be slow, we’re going to continue to focus on the vision and statement of purpose for this ISA. If we stay committed, we can make BBVA Compass Stadium the most intimidating place to play in MLS and do some incredible things for our community and club in ways that no other fan base are doing. We’re talking about growing the game in Houston and feeding our youth academy the talent that is currently being plucked away from right under our noses.
What You Can Do To Help
- If you believe in the vision and purpose of this association, have good communications skills, and can serve without being driven by ego, reach out to us about consideration for one of the at-large Executive Council positions. The only requirement is that you are not supporters group affiliated. Contact us here.
- Keep spreading the word about Walker End Houston to your friends. You can do that right now by pressing this ‘Like’ button:
- If you haven’t already, register for the forum and introduce yourself. Its the best way to make your voice heard.
- Support our operations. To date, not a dime has been raised for spreading awareness of Walker End Houston, capital for merchandising, or tifo. Once some cash is in hand, we’ll likely move to merchandising as our main source of revenue so we don’t have to grovel like this again. But it takes money to make money, and without a capital infusion, its extremely difficult to get moving. Every dollar will be accounted for, shared on the forum, and go to ISA operations & merchandising. Please contribute a few bucks here:
ENOUGH ALREADY! I’M HERE FOR THE PICTURES!
Without further ado…
Thank you again to everyone who helped us spread the word about this campaign by Liking, Sharing, Retweeting, and especially to everyone who donated. All of you helped put smiles on these kids faces. And yes, next year we’ll have time to make sure the orange socks and tops match perfectly!